The picture was taken around 1860 - possibly while Patrick was still living there. On the right (in this picture) is the 'original' 'St. Michael and All Angels Church'. This church was re-built in 1879 (except the tower, which is the same) by Patrick's successor, John Wade. Immediately to the left of this, and adjoining the Sunday School, is the house were lived the Haworth sexton and Branwell's drinking companion John Brown. To the left of this is the Sunday School, the erection of which was commissioned by Patrick Brontë - Anne, Charlotte, Branwell and Emily all taught here at various times. On the extreme left is the Parsonage.
It was in this house where Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall were written (the house has now become the 'Brontë Parsonage Museum'). The small dark figure stood close to the side of the Parsonage (picture on the right) has been rumoured to be Charlotte; but this is extremely unlikely as the picture was almost certainly taken in the 1860s - after all the Brontës had died.
Mrs Gaskell's drawing of the Parsonage and Church showing their isolation at the time of the Brontës.
Interior of the old church with the three-decker pulpit from which Patrick Brontë preached